Monday, December 10, 2007

Like email SPAM, but worse.

Last night, I was asleep at 2:30 a.m. when my text alert on my cell phone goes off. I get out of bed to check it because that is just too weird - my friends don't typically text me in the middle of the night.

Well, last night was a typical night. It wasn't one of my friends. It was spam offering me the ability to engage in some sort of sexually illicit behavior with someone named Debbie. No thanks.

It went off again about twenty minutes later, and then was quiet for the rest of the night. Then, I got another one this morning just after 8:00 a.m. I didn't turn it off because my cell phone is the only way for someone to reach me if there is an emergency with Marlo while I'm up here at the hotel studying for finals.

Text messaging spam particularly sucks because (1) unlike email spam, you don't get to pick the time that it'll be delivered - it just intrudes; and (2) there isn't pre-existing junk mail filters (yet).

Welcome to the wonderful (drip sarcasm here) world of text message spam.

No comments: