Thursday, April 3, 2008

Advancing towards adulthood.

As Marlo has grown up, there have been things I wished she could appreciate as I do. These items particularly include really good British drama along the lines of films shown in PBS's Masterpiece Theater, and really good tea - not Lipton.

For those of you who think I'm crazy, aside from responding, "What took you so long to figure that out?" - just consider my wishes akin to that of a father wanting his son to learn how to shoot his favorite rifle or do 360s in a sports car.

Over the past few years, Marlo has grown to enjoy the same films as I do - Pride & Prejudice (the A&E version, not the ridiculously Americanized version with Keira Knightly), Sense & Sensibility, Wives & Daughters, etc. - but she's less fastidious about them than I, probably because she hasn't read the novels.

I'm also a bit fastidious about tea. I make it the proper way: Pre-heat the teapot with hot water. Put cold, fresh water in the kettle and bring it to a boil. Right when it hits a rolling boil, pour over the tea. (The one place where I'm not a purist is that I will use tea bags instead of loose tea.) Steep 3-7 minutes depending on the tea blend. Add milk to cup and then the tea. Nummy!

Yesterday, we passed another milestone. Marlo called me and said, "Go by the store and get some cream on your way home. I made Tetley and it is really good."

Hallelujah!

I picked up some sweetened condensed milk on my way home (mixing "cream" and sugar together). Marlo put it in her tea and came to sit on my bed so I could read some blog posts to her. She then informed me, "I need you to pick up some normal cream because I like honey in my tea."

I didn't have the heart to explain it to her that it is "honey and lemon" or "cream and sugar" not "cream and honey." I just have to keep remembering that I am getting what I want, even if it doesn't look exactly as I would like it to.

No comments: