Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Room for One More

I went to Jeanette's memorial yesterday morning and then had lunch with my friend Kris. The memorial was very moving, especially when they read messages that people had sent in from all over the country about the difference Jeanette had made for them. I was worn out by the time I got home in the afternoon.

I, however, didn't want to stay at home alone all evening - and Marlo was at the J.V. football game and then cheer practice. So, I went up and watched a movie with my friend George. Just like Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont that I watched on Saturday night, Room for One More did nothing to raise my low pop culture score.

Here's the plot summary from the Internet Movie Database: Anne and "Poppy" Rose are the average American family, with three quirky kids. Anne has a good heart and gives lost cats and dogs a home - and one day also the orphan Jane, a problem child who already tried to kill herself once. At first Poppy is worried and wants to get rid of her, but with love and patience they finally manage to integrate her into the family. Just then Anne invites another orphan, the aggressive handicapped Jimmy-John, to their summer vacation.

The movie was filmed in 1952 and stars Carey Grant. The one downside is that it doesn't appear to be available on DVD or video. George and I watched it by renting a download from Amazon's Unbox service. It was a great movie, but we watched it while balancing my laptop on our knees, which isn't that comfortable. It worked alright, though, because the cinematography is not the selling point of this movie like for an action film, etc.

I remember watching this movie as a kid - my mom must have videotaped it when it played on TV once. I really enjoyed it and probably would purchase it if it came out on DVD. The child actors were remarkably good (not on the par of Dakota Fanning, but still very good for that time period). Also, let's face it, Carey Grant is a dish.

No comments: