Saturday, October 13, 2007

It doesn't raise my pop culture score, but

Tonight with a friend I watched Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, which I think is possibly my all-time favorite movie. This is hard to gauge though, because I have too many "all time favorite movies" including, but not limited to,

  • Terms of Endearment (The first time I saw this movie, it was over-dubbed in French and it still made me cry.)

  • Steel Magnolias (Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine - 'nuff said. Ouiser Boudreaux: "You are evil, and you must be destroyed." Clairee Belcher: "Mother Nature's taking care of that faster than you could.")

  • Days of Thunder (I had to throw in at least one non-chick flick, since my friends tell me that Lonesome Dove is a chick-flick. Though, I'm not quite sure how a movie where someone gets bit in the face by a water moccasin qualifies as a chick flick...)

  • Say Anything (Great dialogue. Lloyd Dobler: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.")

Anyway, Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont is a beautiful movie about an elderly woman, played by Joan Plowright, who moves into a London retirement hotel and makes friends with a young writer. The young man is played by Rupert Friend, who is quite simply the most non-arrogant-luscious man I have seen in a movie in a long, long time.

So, while this movie did nothing to raise my low pop-culture score, I give it "two thumbs up" and "five stars." It is fantastic.

http://www.mrspalfreythemovie.com/viewtrailer.htm

No comments: