Recently though, it has become apparent to me that my pop-culture score has dropped from the "I'm too good for the Hollywood blockbuster - Isn't there an intelligent movie playing" version to the sort of clueless version where people wonder what planet I've been living on. I blame the drop, like all things, on law school. This weekend, I watched "Dr. Strangelove" for the first time. When I mentioned it to some other friends at lunch, they said, "Yeah! That's a classic!" I didn't even know it existed until Friday night.
Among other movies I have never seen:
- The last one or two of the Star Wars series that were released.
- Any of the Star Trek movies.
- The name fails me now, but any of those "The Hobbit"-type movies that came out a few years back. The fantasy ones that ran three hours long....cripes....see, I told you I have an increasing problem here.**
- I have seen one James Bond movie in English (Casino Royale) and one in French (something with Sean Connery, which ruined the whole thing because 1/2 of Sean Connery's sex appeal comes from his voice and accent). According to Wikipedia, there have been six James Bonds and 21 films.
- Any of the Godfather movies.
Embarassingly, this list could go on and on.
So, I'm opening this one up to my community to remedy. If there is a great movie, book, show or other item that you think I shouldn't miss, please post a comment below (or send me an email). As I move through my "assignments" from you, I'll let you know what I think about your recommendations.
**A law school classmate came in and I asked her about these. She said, "You mean something other than the 'Lord of the Rings' movies?" No, I meant those actually.