Saturday, January 5, 2008

Like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man


I had surgery about three weeks ago, the day after my last final exam. It was to repair some scar tissue and the remnants of a seroma from an abdominal surgery I had a year and a half ago.

I've been getting better and better since that time - going from being so doped up on narcotics that I was hallucinating and being unable to get in and out of bed without assistance to being able to move around freely without much pain medication (usually only at night to help me sleep). God bless Anjali and Jeff who let me stay at their house and cared for me for five days following my surgery. I love them.

On Thursday last, I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon and he had to drain 50 ccs from a seroma (a fluid-filled pocket) from my lower right abdomen. I have been wearing a compression garment to help manage the seroma and swelling, with added foam padding to make it tighter (except when I got out in public). Yesterday evening, I noticed that I was feeling more and more swollen.

By the end of today (like now), I'm pretty sure I've developed another seroma on my upper left abdomen. Between the swelling and being padded up with foam, I feel like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Even though I am currently whining, I am still happy that I went ahead with the surgery. All and all, it is 100% better than it was before. These little ups and downs are to be expected and I'm sure will resolve in due course.

Addendum:

I was talking to my sister Shawna who read this post.

Her feedback was, "I didn't find this post funny. It was rather bland."

I said, "It's not witty Shawna. It is just an update of how I'm feeling. I thought it was witty to use the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man as an analogy instead of saying that I feel like a bloated moo-cow."

She said, "Maybe you can update the blog with that because I actually find the moo-cow rather funny."

I wish I did. :( It's not so funny when you're the one experiencing it.

No comments: