Monday, January 28, 2008

Reason to hope.

Last week I was feeling rather despondent about obtaining my law degree and wondering if the price I have paid to obtain it will be worth it in the end.

Realistically, I do not think I would have remained a paralegal for the next twenty-five years. I am sure that I would have gone to law school at some point. I just do not know that I would have gone back when I did, while Marlo was still a teenager and living at home, which has made the whole trek a lot more difficult.

The good news is that I recently came across an ABA Journal article, which reports that a commonality amongst lawyers who love their work is that these lawyers wanted to work in the law from a young age.

When I was seven years old, I was in the gifted program at my elementary school and interviewed a local attorney as a project. I do not remember anything about the interview other than getting dressed up and getting to use a cassette recorder (a big deal in those days). However, I do know that from that moment on, I wanted to be an attorney.

At least now, I can say, “I don’t know what I’m going to do with this law degree, but I am going to be happy doing it.”

No comments: