Thursday, September 18, 2008

It seems to be working.

In yesterday's New York Times, there was an article that discussed a new trend among dieters that focuses more on what to eat, rather than what to avoid. This seems to be working well for me. I'm not avoiding anything, but rather focusing on eating a variety of foods with lots of vegetables. If I want cake, I eat it. However, I eat a little bit and not typically two days in a row.

Yesterday was another busy day. Marlo's school starts late on Wednesdays so I made her breakfast - scrambled eggs with cream cheese, bacon, and brioche. It was nice for her to eat a good breakfast before school instead of a cereal bar or instant oatmeal. Then, I hired a friend of a friend to come and paint the new apartment. He's pretty fast and fairly neat so that seems to be going well. He just may have the whole place done by the end of this weekend before school starts. Yay! The only bad thing is the massive headache induced by paint fumes (and thus, the blogging at 3:00 a.m.).

While Jonathan painted, I tried to focus on cleaning the apartments. Let me just say that I love the smell of Pine Sol. :) Dad came later in the afternoon and he and Jonathan switched the refrigerators between the apartments. The one I had them bring upstairs is one I own, and is much nicer with glass shelves, etc. than the one that Jamie left here.

Marlo got home from work today around 8:15 p.m. so I wanted to have dinner ready for her. I made a zucchini and potato frittata. It tasted fantastic, but wasn't so pretty. When I went to turn it out of the pan onto the serving platter, the bottom didn't drop out. I was using my cast-iron pan, but I don't think I had it properly seasoned before starting. Oops.

Then, because dinner was so healthy, we had a little strawberry layer cake from Trader Joe's. Num. I hope to begin baking, but in the meantime, Trader Joe's desserts are lovely and not too expensive.

No comments: