Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Michelangelo: Basilica di Santa Maria Sopra Minerva

This past week I explored the churches around the Pantheon. These pictures are of the Basilica di Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_sopra_Minerva














In addition to the beautiful blue ceiling, it had lovely stained glass windows shaped like flowers.









One thing I didn't understand is on either side of the church in between the chapels, there were these "tributes" to various Doms, each will a skull below their plaque. I'm not sure of the significance of that.












Also, what is not well known, is that there is a small statue by Michelangelo on the left of the altar called "Christ the Redeemer." Unfortunately, right when I was in the church, a liturgical service was commencing and I couldn't take a good photo. I wanted to get closer, but a priest was glaring at me. I will try to go back though. It is not far from my apartment.

No comments: