Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Something good about law school (at last!)

When one becomes a law student, one instantly becomes a "market" for various producers - study aids, textbooks, computers, etc. Of course, one also gets caught up in the war between Westlaw and LexisNexis.

Personally, I prefer LexisNexis for lots of reasons. One of those reasons is that LexisNexis isn't stingy with handing out points for using their program, and the points are redeemable for great stuff. (Personally, last I looked I could get a mug from Westlaw with my points so long as I'm okay with the mug being imprinted with the Westlaw logo. I'm not so my points sit unused while I take my business to LexisNexis.)

By the end of last school year, I had over 10,000 LexisNexis points. So, a couple of days ago, I went shopping in the "redeem points" section of their website. I'm not certain, but I am pretty sure they are hooked up with Amazon so one can buy just about anything. First, I looked at blenders, but my sister Jamie told me that she has one I can have. Then I looked at bread machines, but Jamie informed me that she got hers for $5 from the Goodwill and that people were always dumping off bread machines after realizing that they just gathered dust.

I ended up buying a red Le Creuset dutch oven, which retails for over $200. Personally, I don't think I'd ever plunk down $200 for a pot, but I have wanted one of these for nearly two decades. So, I decided to go ahead and use my points to get myself one. After the hell that is law school, I think I deserve it. Plus, the pot is a great fiery-hell red. Appropriate, I think.

No comments: