Sunday, August 17, 2008

Yummy Non-cooking Cooking

A long time ago (not in a galaxy far far away), I used to be a decent cook. I even worked as a nanny-housekeeper when I was 19 and had to cook many of the family meals. My meals tasted good and I was able to execute a recipe without problems.

However, ever since I burned down my condo kitchen, I haven't been able to shake the curse. Every now and again, I'll get into a streak of cooking new recipes - some good, but a lot of failures. So, every time I have a success, I'm as proud as a 5 year old boy strutting around in new cowboy boots.

Today, I "cooked" two new cold soups for summer. One was a cucumber-avocado soup, which was blended seeded cucumbers, scallions, avocado and yogurt. Nice and cool and refreshing. The second was blended cooked beets, cumin, minced shallots and yogurt. It was alarmingly pink.

I am staying with my former boss, Renee, for the summer. She tried them both and pronounced them good, especially the cucumber one.

Healthy, nummy, and her kitchen still stands intact. All in all it is a good day.

No comments: