Thursday, October 18, 2007

Like a bug in a rug. (Updated x 2)

The power is out at home, but I'm sitting here happily at the Panera Bread Company (see previous post), drinking a decaf latte, using their free wi-fi and charging up my battery. I'm not the only one with this idea because the place is hopping tonight.

My dad is going to take Jamie's kids and Marlo over to my sister's house to sleep, but I'm going to rough it at home. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to actual camping. Here's the crazy thing - I have a wood burning stove, but I can't use it for heat because there is no electricity to power the fan and it'll crack, according to Dad. (Last year, Dad brought over a teeny-tiny generator to power the fan - and my laptop - during the December black-out.) However, I've got blankets and candles. I'll go home later, pop a movie into my laptop and be all set. I anticipate that the solitude will be blissful.

Until then, I'm sitting here listening to good music next to a warm fire. Cozy as a bug in a rug.



P.S. If I find that I really am miserable and cold tonight, I'll give up and head over to my sister's house as well.

Update: It's 7:31 p.m. and I called my neighbor to confirm whether the power is still off at home. That's an affirmative. However, my battery is 97% charged so I'm going to go ahead and go home. I'll shower tonight, while there is still some hot water left in the tank, watch my movie on the now-charged laptop and crash. Except for not having electricity, it is a perfect, peaceful evening.

Update part deux: It is 8:15 p.m. and the power came on right as I was getting out of the shower. Except for turning the heater on, I may just stick with my original plan of candlelight, a movie on the laptop and sleep. Ahhhh.

No comments: