Sunday, July 8, 2007

Look Karol! A Sunday morning book orgy! *corrected*

A nod to my fellow-read-a-holic friend, Karol Brown.

I took a walk this morning over to a commercial shopping district, which is a pedestrian-only street called Kalverstraat that runs north and south off of Dam Square with shops on either side. Rick Steves, the European travel guru, describes the area as a soul-less "human traffic jam of low-end shoppers," which I concur. It is simply a big, outdoor mall with absolutely no character. (Marlo, honey, you are going to love this part when I take you to Europe after graduation!)

I was in quest of a table-top mirror because my bathroom mirror is too high to see in (see picture). I found out that most of the shops and even bigger department stores are closed on Sundays.

On my walk, I found this HUGE book market in Dam Square in front of the Royal Palace. It is a big open air market filled with used books. Can you believe it? My only regret is that I cannot partake. My luggage is too heavy already and I have too much schoolwork to read. (Sigh).

If I lived in Amsterdam, you can bet that I'd be there every Sunday morning with the rest of the heathens skipping church.

No comments: