Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Van Gogh Museum *UPDATED*









On Sunday, July 15, 2007, I visited the Van Gogh museum with my classmate, Ami, who is from New York.

The Van Gogh museum is a relatively new creation, built in 1973. After Van Gogh's death, his collection of paintings passed to his brother, Theo. Theo died within a few years of Vincent and the collection passed to his widow. Following his widow's death, the collection passed to her son, Vincent Wilhelm Van Gogh, who finally gave the works to a foundation for permanent loan to the museum. Therefore, the world was deprived of enjoying Van Gogh's works from 1891 until 1973.

In viewing Van Gogh's works, I was struck by the many different styles that he used to create his art - from impressionistic "pointelle" to more abstract creations. The works are exhibited in chronological order so you can view Van Gogh's progression as an artist. The most profound thing is viewing art that you know was created within a few weeks of his death by suicide.

If you go to the museum, be sure to pay for the additional audiotour that provides additional information about the paintings and Van Gogh. It is worth it.

Official museum website (with pictures of Van Gogh's works): http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?lang=en

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi dear,
Wow! I would love to see that museum. As you know, my mother is very into the arts. She took my sister Pam and I to New York museums often. I saw Van Gogh's work many years ago and fell in love with it. Would you believe that when I was a kid I had Van Gogh prints in my room? Not a poster of Davy Jones of the Monkeys or Roger Daltry of the Who, but Van Gogh!