Friday, July 6, 2007

Nobody says, "Next time, I'm going to pack heavier!"

After arriving at Schipol airport in Amsterdam, I collected my bags, bought a train ticket and took the train to Centraal station in the middle of town. Despite me limiting myself to one carry-on sized piece of luggage, I was weighed down by having my laptop in a shoulder bag and a framed picture for Jacqueline & Pierre (more about them to come in later posts) in another bag. Plus, my main suitcase was heavier because of the school materials. Ugh! Having to drag all three bags in and out of the train and through the station was a major pain in the patootie.

After arrival in Centraal Station, I stored my bags in the baggage lockers. I had originally planned to leisurely walk to the University's offices where I was to collect my apartment key, getting a cup of coffee along the way, etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to execute this plan because I got a small blister on my right foot before even getting out of the airport and because it was raining. (Note: despite rain, it was hot and muggy.)

After collecting my key, I returned to Centraal to retrieve my bags and walk to my apartment. The professor thought it was about six blocks from the station. Well, let me tell you, they are LONG blocks and felt even longer because of my baggage weight-issues. I finally arrive at the apartment complex, locate my building and discover that my apartment is on the 4th floor with no elevator. So, I have this delimma. Whether to carry all the bags at once or take several trips. Finally, because I was too afraid of having anything stolen (computer, main bag with clothes, or the gifts), I cart all three bags at once up four flights of stairs to my apartment door. By this time, my arms, shoulders and back are killing me! The good news is that sans luggage, those four flights of stairs will do great things for my butt and thighs.

Anyway, I am eternally grateful to Easyjet for imposing weight limits on my luggage for my flight from Paris to Rome (20 kg). If I had not been trying to fit within their guidelines to avoid steep fines, my luggage probably would have been another 10-15 lbs.

If I had to do it over again, I would have caught a taxi.

 

No comments: